Music in Motion
Music in Motion Choir
Music in Motion is a Lámh signing choir supported by the Brothers of Charity Services South East. The choir share and promote the use of Lámh signs through music. Lámh is the manual sign system used by children and adults with intellectual disability and communication needs in Ireland. Music in Motion was formally founded in 2012 by Speech and Language therapist Ashley Boyle and has collaborated and performed with a number of choirs locally.
Lucy Blake in Killean Resource Centre, with support from Maura Bolger, Speech and Language therapist, continues to orchestrate this choir and has initiated and organized the choirs’ appearances at the following community events:
• We performed at The Waterford Festival of Learning which took place in The Tower Hotel on 20th March 2013. The Festival of Learning was in association with Waterford City VEC and Waterford Institute of Technology amongst others. We gave a 30 minute presentation on the use of Lámh part of which featured people who use our services demonstrating their use of Lámh, followed by the Music in Motion choir performing a number of songs supported by the De La Salle college choir.
• We have taken part in Waterford Winterval for the past three years now.
• In December 2012 we performed in John Roberts Square with Brother Ben and The De La Salle College choir.
• In December 2013 we performed again in John Roberts Square this time in collaboration with Anne Woodworth and The Bealtainne Choir.
• In December 2014 we performed again in City Square shopping centre supported by the choir from St Angela’s Secondary school.
• We performed for the Killean Easter service 2013 with St Paul’s folk choir in St Paul’s Church Lisduggan.
• We performed as part of a Singing for Wellbeing workshop in Ferrybank Library on 3rd October 2013; this was open to members of the public. The workshop was organized and hosted by Ferrybank Library and delivered by Fr Willie Purcell and his musicians.
• We took part in the Waterford Well festival in which we performed with Anne Woolworths’ Bealtainne Choir in Waterford Regional Hospital on 10th October 2013.
• We performed for the Killean Christmas Service on December 17th 2013 in St Paul’s church Lisduggan in which we collaborated with the St Paul’s Folk Choir.
• We were invited to perform as part of the Animated Community arts event in Christchurch Cathedral on April 5th 2014, where we performed with a number of community groups and collaborated with The Ritz Co-op and Mary Prendergast and Friends.
• We performed at the Wyse Park Family Fun day on June 21st supported by Ritz Co-op.
• The choir hosted an event as part of the Waterford Diverse-city festival on 27th August 2014. We invited FR Willie Purcell to co-host a Singing for well-being workshop with the choir in St Paul’s parish centre Lisduggan. This was filmed as part of the Diverse-city video entry for the Better Together video competition. The video was shortlisted and as a result some of the choir members attended the awards ceremony in Dublin Castle on 11th December, where they met Joe Schmidt.
• The choir took part in The Imagine Festival – Parade of Light on Oct 17th. It was planned as a parade from Ballybricken to The Peoples Park but the bad weather prevented this so instead it was an Arts and Music event held in St Patrick’s Church, we were supported by the band South Parade.
• We performed Christmas carols for the Solas Centre Art and Craft Christmas Fair on December 6th, some members of staff from Killean resource centre and their families sang with us.
• We performed for the Killean Resource Centre Christmas service in St Paul’s Church in collaboration with the Killean staff choir.